Stress in the workplace – How to manage Work-Stress
Stress does not necessarily have to be negative and can help us at times do our work more efficiently.
If you find yourself in a place where work stress is taking over your life, you need to consider the following tips to help you cope:
1. Stress can be managed. Make sure you don’t overwhelm yourself with work. Accept help when offered, ask for help when needed and learn to say “NO”.
2. Work needs to be prioritised. Make sure you spread out your work. Everything does not have to be done NOW. Differentiate between urgent and important and less important.
3. Consistency. Work consistently during the day and work will get done. If you are stuck on something and no progress is made, do something else and come back to it later. Thus, no time is wasted.
4. Consider your health. Your body is not a machine. Eat well and healthy.
Remember it is always important to nourish your body. Here the old saying rings true: A Healthy body equals a healthy mind.
5. Laugh. Enjoy your workplace. Take breaks, tell jokes, and socialize when you take time out. Laughing is like fuel to your body and releases positive endorphins which is the best remedy for stress.
6. Remember to stretch. Imagine how our feline friend do it: Arch your back and exhale as you move back into an upright position. If you feel this might be embarrassing in front of your colleagues, go to a restroom cubicle and stretch there. Put up a sticky note “Stretch” if you have to. Use your arms or go for quick walks. It helps with blood flow and oxygen levels.
7. Breathe. You can do it anywhere. Inhale through your nose and take l-o-n-g breaths, relax your abdominal muscles and then exhale through your mouth s-l-o-w-l-y. Repeat this exercise a view times. This will help you cope with highly stressful times at work, anxiety attacks, dizziness by providing oxygen to the brain.
Always remember 70% – 80% of health problems stem from stress.
Stress kills so make sure you manage your stress levels.
Latest posts by Gerrie Pretorius (see all)
- Are you Having an Online Affair? – Online Infidelity - March 1, 2017
- Why Couples Divorce - November 23, 2016
- My Take on why Donald Trump won - November 10, 2016